Built for the London & North Eastern Railway, 61264 is one of two surviving B1 Class locomotives alongside 61306 Mayflower.
The B1's were designed by Edward Thompson, Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London North Eastern Railway, as mixed traffic locomotives capable of hauling express passenger trains as well as freight traffic. As powerful, go anywhere engines, the B1's worked across most of the UK rail network from East Anglia to Scotland with a total of 410 locomotives built. 61264 has two cylinders, 6 driving wheels, a firebox grate area of 30 square feet and can operate at 75mph.
61264 was built in 1947 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow, entering traffic on 5th December under LNER, shortly before nationalisation, and originally numbered 1264. After passing into the ownership of British Rail in January 1948 the locomotive was renumbered 61264 in March of the same year although the new number was not carried until October 1949. She was first allocated to the shed at Parkeston Quay near Harwich before transferring to Colwick Depot near Nottingham in 1960.
Having originally been sold in 1968 for scrap to Woodham Brothers 61264 was the only LNER locomotive to be taken to the infamous scrapyard on Barry Island. Like many other locomotives stored at Barry 61264 was saved from the cutters torch in 1976 becoming the 83rd engine to leave. After a long restoration project taking over 20 years she moved under her own steam once again in 1997.
Now owned, operated and maintained by the Thompson B1 Locomotive trust 61264 is permanently based at the North Yorkshire Moors where she is a mainstay of the locomotive roster. In preservation 61264 has worn a number of different numbers and names of scrapped classmates including 61034 Chiru and 61005 Impala.
Whilst this locomotive is rostered for the trips listed, it cannot be guaranteed.