With views of the Somerset coastline and the Quantock Hills this heritage railway is the perfect destination travelling through rolling hills, unspoilt villages and past cliffs and coast to the sea.
Originally numbered 4488, 60009 Union of South Africa was built for the LNER in 1937.
It was named after the then newly-formed Union of South Africa, although it had previously been allocated the name "Osprey" on 17 April 1937, when it came out of the paint shop on 29 June. "Osprey" name plates were fitted to the locomotive during the 1980s and early 1990s due to the politics of the time. Its name has since reverted to Union of South Africa. The works number of Union of South Africa was 1853; the plaques are located in the cab itself and not on the exterior cab sides as is the usual practice.Whilst this locomotive is rostered for the trips listed, it cannot be guaranteed
|Minehead - West Somerset Railway||1525||1630|